In 2016, I am continuing to let random.org choose a book from my TBR list, to be read sometime during the month. My randomly generated number for July is 342 (out of 412 in my TBR list). SURPRISE!, I will be reading The Good Braider by Terry Farish. I’m looking forward to reading this book that I have already added to both my school library collections.
In spare free verse laced with unforgettable images, Viola’s strikingly original voice sings out the story of her family s journey from war-torn Sudan, to Cairo, and finally to Portland, Maine. Here, in the sometimes too close embrace of the local Southern Sudanese Community, she dreams of South Sudan while she tries to navigate the strange world of America a world where a girl can wear a short skirt, get a tattoo or even date a boy; a world that puts her into sharp conflict with her traditional mother who, like Viola, is struggling to braid together the strands of a displaced life.
Terry Farish’s haunting novel is not only a riveting story of escape and survival, but the universal tale of a young immigrant’s struggle to build a life on the cusp of two cultures.
2016 Challenges: June Progress
- Goodreads goal of 130 books: 17 this month, 81 total
- 2016 Horror Reading Challenge goal of 16+ books: Five this month, 14 total
- Book Riot’s 2016 Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): Two this month– category 7 and 12, 12 total–halfway there!
- Panels’ 2016 Read Harder Challenge (26 specific categories of books): One this month-category 26, six total–gotta get going on this one.
- Surprise Me goal of one book per month: One this month, six total