In 2016, I am continuing to let random.org choose a book from my TBR list, to be read sometime during the month. My randomly generated number for June is 330 (out of 396 in my TBR list). SURPRISE!, I will be reading Sorry Please Thank You: Stories by Charles Yu. I love that this challenge is prompting me to read more adult books–and this one looks so fun 🙂
A big-box store employee is confronted by a zombie during the graveyard shift, a problem that pales in comparison to his inability to ask a coworker out on a date . . . A fighter leads his band of virtual warriors, thieves, and wizards across a deadly computer-generated landscape . . . A company outsources grief for profit, their tagline: “Don’t feel like having a bad day? Let someone else have it for you.” Drawing from both pop culture and science, Charles Yu is a brilliant observer of contemporary society, filling his stories with equal parts laugh-out-loud humor and piercing insight into the human condition. He has already garnered comparisons to such masters as Kurt Vonnegut and Douglas Adams, and in Sorry Please Thank You, we have resounding proof of a major new voice in American fiction.
2016 Challenges: May Progress
- Goodreads goal of 130 books: 17 this month, 64 total–almost halfway there 🙂
- 2016 Horror Reading Challenge goal of 16+ books: Six(!) this month, nine total
- Book Riot’s 2016 Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): Two this month– categories 8 and17, 10 total
- Panels’ 2016 Read Harder Challenge (26 specific categories of books): One this month-category 3, five total
- Surprise Me goal of one book per month: Two this month, five total–caught up!