It’s time for my September Random Read! Thanks to imlovingbooks.com for hosting this meme. This month random.org chose #14, and that means I will be reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Just in time, right?!?
At the very slightest chance that you haven’t heard about this book and upcoming movie, here is the Goodreads description:
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he’s sure he’ll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him & forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded & completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—& even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won’t have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment or plain-old “human error” are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn’t ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—& a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
I have heard that the audiobook is excellently narrated, so it might be time to take on that free trial of Audible….
2015 Challenges: August Progress
- Goodreads goal of 125 books: 11 this month, 93 total
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): Zero this month, 10 total – I think I am going to have to abandon the challenge at this point, or at the very list admit that I will not read in all 24 categories.
- Award Winning Books goal of 11-24 books: One this month, 12 total; Saga by Brian K. Vaughan
- Horror Reading Challenge 2015 goal of 6-10 books: Two this month, nine total: Slappy’s Tales of Horror (graphic novel) and The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
- Random Reads goal of one book per month: One: More Than This by Patrick Ness (actually finished on 9/2)