It’s time for my May Random Read! Thanks to imlovingbooks.com for hosting this meme. This year, I’m reading off of my Goodreads to-read list because I have added all the things that still interested me from my Shelfari list. Today random.org chose #202 for me, but Lumberjanes Vol. 2 will not be published until October, so on the second try I got #62, and that means I will be reading Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla. This book is Katherine Applegate’s nonfiction picture book companion to Newbery winner The One and Only Ivan.
Here is the Goodreads description:
In a spare, powerful text and evocative illustrations, the Newbery medalist Katherine Applegate and the artist G. Brian Karas present the extraordinary real story of a special gorilla.
Captured as a baby, Ivan was brought to a Tacoma, Washington, mall to attract shoppers. Gradually, public pressure built until a better way of life for Ivan was found at Zoo Atlanta. From the Congo to America, and from a local business attraction to a national symbol of animal welfare, Ivan the Shopping Mall Gorilla traveled an astonishing distance in miles and in impact.
This is his true story and includes photographs of Ivan in the back matter.
2015 Challenges: April Progress
- Goodreads goal of 125 books: 15 this month, 52 total
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): One this month, nine total: Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson (author under 25 years old)
- Award Winning Books goal of 11-24 books: One this month, five total: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Horror Reading Challenge 2015 goal of 6-10 books: THREE this month, four total: The Turning by Francine Prose, Silver by Chris Wooding and Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
- Random Reads goal of one book per month: One: Geek Love by Katherine Dunn