It’s time for my March Random Read! Thanks to imlovingbooks.com for hosting this meme. This year, I’m reading off of my Goodreads to-read list because I have added all the things that still interested me from my Shelfari list. Random.org chose #194, which means the book should be If You’re Lucky by Yvonne Prinz; but it won’t be published until October, so I had to pick a new one.
My second attempt at a random number was #39, which means I will be reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, which is my third adult title in a row–weird.
Here’s the Goodreads summary:
Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There’s Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback Oly, and the outwardly normal Chick, whose mysterious gifts make him the family’s most precious–and dangerous–asset.
As the Binewskis take their act across the backwaters of the U.S., inspiring fanatical devotion and murderous revulsion; as its members conduct their own Machiavellian version of sibling rivalry, Geek Love throws its sulfurous light on our notions of the freakish and the normal, the beautiful and the ugly, the holy and the obscene. Family values will never be the same.
2015 Challenges: March Progress
- Goodreads goal of 125 books: 9 this month, 37 total
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): Three this month, eight total: Ready Player One (sci-fi novel), Prairie Fire (YA novel), Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky
- Award Winning Books goal of 11-24 books: One this month, five total: Ready Player One
- Horror Reading Challenge 2015 goal of 6-10 books: None this month, one total 😦
- Random Reads goal of one book per month: One: Nightwoods by Charles Frazier