It’s time for my March Random Read! Thanks to imlovingbooks.com for hosting this meme. This year, I’m reading off of my Goodreads to-read list because I have added all the things that still interested me from my Shelfari list. Today random.org chose #26 for me, so I will be reading Nightwoods by Charles Frazier. I have to admit that I don’t recall putting this book on my list (I haven’t even read Cold Mountain), but I am going for it nonetheless.
The extraordinary author of Cold Mountain and Thirteen Moons returns with a dazzling new novel of suspense and love set in small-town North Carolina in the early 1960s.
Charles Frazier puts his remarkable gifts in the service of a lean, taut narrative while losing none of the transcendent prose, virtuosic storytelling, and insight into human nature that have made him one of the most beloved and celebrated authors in the world. Now, with his brilliant portrait of Luce, a young woman who inherits her murdered sister’s troubled twins, Frazier has created his most memorable heroine.
Before the children, Luce was content with the reimbursements of the rich Appalachian landscape, choosing to live apart from the small community around her. But the coming of the children changes everything, cracking open her solitary life in difficult, hopeful, dangerous ways.
Charles Frazier is known for his historical literary odysseys, and for making figures in the past come vividly to life. Set in the twentieth century, Nightwoods resonates with the timelessness of a great work of art.
2015 Challenges: February Progress
- Goodreads goal of 125 books: 10 this month, 28 total
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge (24 specific categories of books): Three this month, five total: World War Z (audiobook), Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman (short stories), and Tomboy by Liz Prince (a graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind)
- Award Winning Books goal of 11-24 books: One this month, four total: The First Part Last by Angela Johnson
- Horror Reading Challenge 2015 goal of 6-10 books: One this month, one total: Night Film by Marisha Pessl
- Random Reads goal of one book per month: One: Night Film by Marisha Pessl