I admit that I am more of a horror, science fiction, and fantasy reader than a realistic fiction reader, but then there are those books that are so, so good that it makes me think I should choose realistic fiction titles more often. One for the Murphys is one of those books.
Carley Connors is placed into foster care after her mother’s new husband beats them both, sending them to the hospital. From day one, Carley is determined not to become attached to the Murphy family, but she grows to love little Michael Eric first and then the rest of them. She makes a best friend, Toni, and does a lot of thinking about her past life with her mother and current life with the Murphys. Readers will find themselves torn between Carley’s two “worlds” just like she is. This one is a heartprint book for sure.
One for the Murphys is Linda Mullaly Hunt’s first middle grade novel. As the Awards Chair for the Rebecca Caudill Steering Committee, I had the honor of emailing her to let her know the book made the list. Her reply started like this: “Hey! Woo HOOOO!” That’s exactly how I felt when I heard that her next book, Fish in a Tree, will be published in the spring of 2015. I will definitely have to try see if I can get my hands on it before then.
Skype with Linda Mullaly Hunt On the Author Visits section of her website, Linda Mullaly Hunt offers to Skype with students for FREE, answering three questions over a 15-20 minute period. She will also do a full 45-50 minute Skype session and send bookmarks for just $100. What a great way to connect kids with an author!
Other 2015 Rebecca Caudill Reading Roundup Posts
- A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
- Charlie Joe Jackson’s Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald
- Dogs on Duty by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
- Unstoppable by Tim Green
- Chuck Close: Face Book by Chuck Close
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Almost Home by Joan Bauer
- Bomb by Steve Sheinkin
- Never Say Die by Will Hobbs
- Saving Zasha by Randi Barrow
- Ungifted by Gordon Korman
- Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool
- The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- A Diamond in the Desert by Kathryn Fitzmaurice
- Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George